ADB-ADBI Call for Research Proposals
Limit date: May 31-May 22
The Asian Development Bank (ADB) and the Asian Development Bank Institute (ADBI) are looking for research proposals to study the loss and recovery of learning following education disruptions caused by the Pandemic. COVID-19.
- Measure learning loss
- Under this theme, studies empirically quantify changes in student learning levels as a result of the pandemic.
- These studies may include the use of standardized testing or other types of education and skill measurement that can be compared to pre-pandemic outcomes. Alternatively, a comparison could be made between areas with widespread closures and those where school closure has been more limited.
- The design can be reflective (to reflect all changes during the pandemic) or causal (to reflect the effects of closure).
- Characterization and analysis of responses
- Proposals under this item set out data sets on actual measures taken to limit or correct losses and / or analyze the effects of such measures.
- Responses may include actions taken by governments, schools, other organizations, households, and / or students, which are not included in existing data sets.
- Studies in this area may also include activities under the topic “measuring learning loss” to allow the identification of the effects of responses on learning outcomes.
- Testing solutions for learning recovery
- As face-to-face schooling resumes, various measures can be used to compensate for learning losses and to respond to the increasing heterogeneity of the level of learning.
- These measures may include placing students in “careers” based on learning levels, providing additional instruction through tutors or teaching assistants, using educational technology or supplementary means, expanding the time at school or prioritizing educational topics.
- The studies would address the issues raised above. Evidence is needed on the effects of such measures on learning outcomes and the ability to recover from learning loss. Proposals under this topic should use empirical causal designs to isolate the effects of the tested measures.
The maximum budget requested is $ 100,000.
Research proposals must meet the following conditions:
- It relates to one or more of the above three topics
- Research activities should focus on one or more developing member countries of the ADB
- The intellectual property of the research (including the data) will be jointly owned by ADB, with a working paper and a presentation as expected initial results.
- Researchers who will be funded by the research proposal must be citizens of the member economies of the ADB
- Relevance of the research proposal for the operations of the ADB and / or developing member countries
- Rigor of the research proposal, in terms of identification strategies for causal analysis, sampling power and motivation of the hypotheses to be tested
- Cost-effectiveness, in terms of the balance between the scale of data / outputs and the amount of funding requested
- Demonstrated ability of the research team to conduct rigorous research on related topics
For more information, visit https://www.adb.org/adbi/about/opportunities/adb-adbi-call-for-research-proposals-learning-loss-and-recovery-in-asia-and-the-pacific-following-covid- 19-schools-closures