How Do You Find And Choose A Web Development Firm?
Finding a web development company is no problem. However, choosing the right one may not be the easiest task.
The number of web development companies is constantly growing. They all specialize in different types of companies, industries and technologies. How can you be sure that your website will be delivered on time? How can you verify your experience and expertise?
Let’s see what will help you make that choice.
1. Pay attention to reviews
Popular services such as Goodfirms and Clutch publish lists of the most trusted web development companies. Lists are based on criteria such as market presence, relevant experience, and verified customer reviews.
Platforms such as Upwork, PeoplePerHour, Fiverr or Freelancer also offer work history and reviews for teams and specialists.
My recommendation would be to read the testimonials left by customers. In this way, you will understand the background of the company, its specialization and the scope of the projects they have built.
If in doubt, you can try talking to your existing customers to make the final decision. They can share with you their experience on how the company follows the requirements and communicates. Thanks to the opinions of the clients, you will understand if the company is responsible and really committed to each project.
2. Check the wallet
View the portfolio of a company published on its website and show its work. It will help you test your relevant experience working on similar products or for the same industry. In addition, the portfolio provides a valuable insight into the domain in which the vendor specializes.
Website design, content, and company social media profiles can help you understand if they have a professional approach to development. The website is a brand identity for customers. So, if a web development provider takes care of their own UX and UI, then most likely they will create a product for you in the same quality way.
If the company does not present their case studies on the website, look at their profiles on platforms such as Behance and Dribble. You will discover their approach to creating design solutions.
3. Know the development approach and reporting
The product development approach is something else worth checking out. Find out what approach the company applies to development.
There are two main methods: waterfall and agile. In the cascading approach, one team moves on to the next step after completing the previous one. An agile approach involves a team working with small steps to verify that the solution is working properly at each stage.
If you own a startup, I recommend you adopt the agile methodology. The development team checks the smooth running of the solution every step of the way. Therefore, it will not take long to improve the solution if necessary. As a result, you save resources and development efforts.
In addition, I advise you to consult the information system adopted by the company. Team reports on daily results and operational chat should be available. This transparency ensures that you are informed about the current progress of the development of your web solution.
4. Talk to the team before signing a contract
Make sure you communicate easily with the people involved in the development of your website. Also, check if they are contacting you through many channels, such as your phone or messengers. A professional team that responds to you quickly is the key to the success of the project.
The development of your website should involve experienced specialists. If the team has been working together for a long time, they are likely to be professionals who know how to deliver your website in the best way possible.
Another important aspect is your part in the development process. Contact the company and discuss your involvement as the team builds your web solution. It is good practice for the company to share discussions and relevant documents with you. Check that you can pass changes or improvements to your computer if you need them. This way, the team will be able to adjust the development process of your project.
5. Discover the technologies they use in development
There are many programming languages, frameworks and development environments. That’s why it’s quite difficult to understand if the company is applying the technologies that best fit your needs.
So here are some questions you can ask your company to clarify:
- How long have you been using the suggested technologies?
- Why choose specific technologies?
- Do you follow the latest search engine and web standards requirements?
- How do they ensure the security of your website?
A company with solid experience would suggest the technology stack that guarantees the reliability and efficient work of your website. If a company has years of proven work using particular technologies, this may be the right choice.
6. Know the services of a company
Check out what services a company offers to develop your website. There are typical stages that are considered good practice. They include the following:
- Product discovery. The stage involves research and analysis that help to know if the product is profitable. At this point, the company discovers the market potential of your product.
- Planning. Depending on the functionality to be included in the website, the company forms a team with dedicated tasks.
- Creating design. Making an intuitive UX and an attractive user interface is vital to your solution. The design highlights the uniqueness of your brand.
- Building an MVP. The minimum viable product, or MVP, is the preliminary form of your product that includes the main features. This is a viable version that helps you launch your web solution early and collect feedback from users. From there, you can improve your product.
- QA and optimization. Comprehensive testing and code efficiency checks ensure that your website works properly and protects it from cyber threats.
- Maintenance and support. The right company will help you with the following improvements to your website. It will help you make changes to your website in line with new technology standards and market needs.
If your business is going through similar stages, your website or application may be a good option for you.
Finding an experienced web development agency can be a daunting task. The company needs to know the specifics of your industry and understand your business requirements. They should be experts in providing lightweight, fast-loading websites or applications.
However, with some research based on the above tips, you will find a great team to create the best web solution for you.