How to use Zoom in Accessibility on iPhone and iPad
Some of us just don’t have the best eyes. I mean, it happens, especially as we get older. But it seems like there are so many small print these days that it can definitely be a challenge, even when using your best iPhone or iPad. Fortunately, Apple has a lot of accessibility features that help make your devices easier to use for everyone, including the visually impaired.
In this case, Zoom is an accessibility feature that makes everything on the screen of your favorite iPhone or iPad bigger, therefore much easier to read. By default, it is set to a 5x magnification, but you can easily adjust it to between 1x and 15x, depending on your personal needs and preferences. Once zoom is enabled, you can use all the familiar multi-touch gestures, but you can also link it to VoiceOver for more help with the visually impaired.
How to activate the zoom
To turn on zoom, just go to the zoom settings in the accessibility settings menu. It is also where you will access the option to adapt the accessibility function to your wishes and needs.
- Open Configuration on your iPhone or iPad.
- Faucet Accessibility.
Faucet Zoom under the Vision section.
- Tap switch switch on Zoom.
Tap and drag slider under Maximum zoom level. The left decreases the maximum zoom level, the right increases it.
Once you’ve turned on Zoom, you can use it on the fly. Here’s how to use it:
- Double tap with three fingers anywhere on the screen to turn zoom on and off. You can do this from almost anywhere.
- Drag three fingers around the screen to scroll and move to another area of the screen.
- Use one or two fingers to scroll through the specific section on the screen.
- Tap and hold anchor to drag the magnifying glass up and down the screen.
This is! You’re good to go! If you never decide you don’t like zoom enabled, you can easily turn it off by following the same steps.
How to enable / disable Follow Focus and Smart Typing
Follow Focus will make the zoom window jump to the text you are typing and follow it. With Follow Focus turned on, you won’t be able to zoom in on the keyboard while typing. Like other zoom options, you can turn them on in the zoom settings menu under Accessibility in Settings.
- Tap switch Next Follow Focus to turn it on or off. Green is on, white / gray is off.
Tap switch Next Intelligent typing. The control will appear once you have activated focus tracking.
How to use and manage Zoom keyboard shortcuts
Zoom settings also allow you to set keyboard shortcuts to activate different zoom functions while connected to an external keyboard.
- Faucet Keyboard shortcuts.
- Tap switch next to Keyboard shortcuts in the “on” green position. Many other switches will appear.
Enable or disable switches enable or disable to enable the ability to use keyboard commands Adjust the zoom level, Toggle zoom, Moves the zoom window, Change zoom regioni Temporarily change the zoom.
The keyboard command for all of these options will be displayed directly below your place in the menu.
How to enable / disable the zoom controller
The zoom controller is a kind of joystick that allows you to quickly access the Zoom menu, scroll through a part of the magnified screen, and zoom in and out quickly. Here’s how to activate it:
- Faucet Zoom controller
- Tap switch Next Displays the driver in the “on” green position to turn on the zoom controller, or in the “off” gray / black position to turn it off.
Tap One touch, Double tapi / o I play three times options below Controller actions.
- Faucet Cap, Displays the menu, Zoom in / outo He speaks to the touch. You can choose from all of these options in One-Touch, Double-Touch, and Three-Touch, except if one action is already assigned to one of the other two controller actions (if Show Menu is assigned to One-Touch, you’ll do so). you will not be able to select it in Double tap, for example).
- Faucet back once you have decided what makes a single, double, or triple tap on the zoom controller to return to the zoom controller menu.
Tap switch Next Adjust the zoom level to allow a double tap and slide the zoom controller to adjust the zoom level.
- Faucet Color.
- Tap color that you want the zoom controller to be white, blue, red, green, yellow, or orange.
Faucet Zoom controller to return to the zoom controller menu.
- Faucet Inactive opacity.
Tap and drag slider left or right to determine the opacity of the zoom controller level while idle.
How to change the zoom region
You can choose to enlarge the entire screen or just within a floating window.
- Faucet Zoom Region.
Touch any Full screen zoom o Zoom out the window.
How to change the zoom filter
If you need inverted colors in the enlarged area, or if you need grayscale or low light, you can enable these options and they will only apply to what is in the zoom area.
- Faucet Zoom filters.
Tap one option:
- Inverted grayscale
- Low light
Come on in, take a look and enjoy yourself!
Even if you do not have a visual disability, the zoom function is very useful to make it easier to read all that small and difficult to read impression. And honestly, Apple has such excellent accessibility features on all of its best devices, such as the iPhone 13 Pro, that make it more accessible to everyone and not just those with disabilities.
Updated July 2022: These steps are current with the latest versions of iOS.